Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes We DID!!!



What a night last night!! I feel so privileged to have been a part of this amazingly historic election. I was so excited when I woke up yesterday morning, because for the first time in a long time, I felt an overwhelming feeling of hope. The only thought I my head as the day wore on, was that no matter WHAT happened, our country was in for an incredible and much needed change, and that was wildly exciting to me. When the news flashed on the screen that Obama had been declared the winner, I was overcome with emotion, as was much of the country I'm sure. I couldn't help but feel a palpable shift in energy, be it imagined or otherwise.

Both men gave amazing speeches last night. After so many years of feeling anticipation and dread whenever our President began to speak, it was a revelatory moment to realize I did NOT feel that way about either of the candidates for this year's election. McCain's concession speech was dignified and touching, and clearly came from the heart of a man who truly loves the United States of America. I don't doubt for one moment that he will continue to have an incredibly positive effect on this country working with Barack Obama. He said:

"I urge all Americans who supported me to join me in not just congratulating him, but offering our next president our good will and earnest effort to find ways to come together to find the necessary compromises to bridge our differences and help restore our prosperity, defend our security in a dangerous world, and leave our children and grandchildren a stronger, better country than we inherited."

Hopefully his message will reach those who feel disappointment today, and we can move forward as one united, and very hopeful country.

Obama took the stage in Chicago, in front of a crowd that I longed to be a part of, and began with:

"If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible; who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time; who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer.

Its the answer told by lines that stretched around schools and churches in numbers this nation has never seen; by people who waited three hours and four hours, many for the very first time in their lives, because they believed that this time must be different; that their voice could be that difference.

Its the answer spoken by young and old, rich and poor, Democrat and Republican, black, white, Latino, Asian, Native American, gay, straight, disabled and not disabled - Americans who sent a message to the world that we have never been a collection of Red States and Blue States: we are, and always will be, the United States of America.

Its the answer that led those who have been told for so long by so many to be cynical, and fearful, and doubtful of what we can achieve to put their hands on the arc of history and bend it once more toward the hope of a better day.

Its been a long time coming, but tonight, because of what we did on this day, in this election, at this defining moment, change has come to America."


Change has come to America, and it feels incredible!! Today is an amazing day for many reasons...

With hope,

Jen

1 comment:

cadre said...

So proud of you. I adore reasonable people and you are so clearly one of them. It was great to see all of our children involved in the process and appreciative and respectful of both candidates. I think we raised "thinkers"! We are happy too, to have a new, exciting, humble, and ARTICULATE president. Hooray!

I love America.